A reuters article suggests Apple Inc. is gathering advice on parts and production methods, focusing on electric and connected-car technologies, while studying the potential for automated driving. They appear to be uninterested in help from the regular industry.
- “Fully automated driving is an evolution. Carmakers will slowly build the market for autonomous cars by first releasing connected and partially automated cars,” the auto industry source said. “Apple is interested in all the potential ways you can evolve the car; that includes autonomous driving.”
- “The Wall Street Journal reported on Friday that Apple had set up a secret lab working on the creation of an Apple-branded electric car, citing people familiar with the matter. The lab was set up late last year, soon after Apple revealed its forthcoming smart watch and latest iPhones, the Financial Times said.”
- “Car technology has become a prime area of interest for Silicon Valley companies ranging from Google Inc (GOOGL.O), which has built a prototype self-driving car, to electric car-maker Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA.O).”
- “Already, carmakers such as Daimler (DAIGn.DE), BMW (BMWG.DE) and Volkswagen’s (VOWG_p.DE) Audi (NSUG.DE) have revealed cars that can travel long distances without human intervention.”
We know that self-driving cars are in general safer, more fuel efficient, have quicker reaction times than humans, and will be able to automatically find the best routes in real time by being aware of traffic abnormalities.
- In the near future it will be illegal for humans to drive cars. It will be culturally depicted as a murderous act. Films will portray rebellious heroes driving old American muscle cars in ways that self-driving cars cannot be driven in order to evade capture or pursue criminals.
- Apple will buy Tesla for $75 billion in 18 months. (link)